Lack of association between IL1A c.-889 C>T gene polymorphism and chronic periodontitis in subjects from Bahia, Brazil
Aim: This study aimed to analyze the relationship between the polymorphism c.-889 C>T in the IL1A gene and periodontitis in subjects from Vitória da Conquista, Bahia, Brazil. Methods: Two hundred fifty-nine individuals were classified according to periodontitis diagnoses in cases and controls. Genomic DNA was extracted from buccal epithelial cells. Genotyping was performed by PCR-RFLP, followed by agarose gel electrophoresis. Data were analyzed using Chi-square, Fisher’s exact and Hosmer-Lemeshow tests. Results: In the individuals evaluated in this study, periodontitis was significantly associated with a low educational level (p = 0.024) and clinical variables, such as gingival bleeding (p = 0.019) and tooth mobility (p = 0.001). Among patients in the case group, the majority (72.88%) had a generalized form of periodontitis. The genotypic frequencies for IL1A c.–889 C>T between the case and control groups did not significantly differ (χ2 = 1.6983; p = 0.428). Conclusion: This study’s findings indicate the lack of association between periodontitis and the IL1A c -889 C>T gene polymorphism.
Uniterms: Peridontitis. Genetic polymorphism. Interleukin-1.
3. Feghali K, Tanabe S, Grenier D. Soluble CD14 induces cytokine release by human oral epithelial cells. J Periodontal Res. 2011; 46: 147-52.
4. Nikolopoulos GK, Dimou NL, Hamodrakas SJ, Bagos PG. Cytokine gene polymorphisms in periodontal disease: a meta-analysis of 53 studies including 4178 cases and 4590 controls. J Clin Periodontol. 2008; 35: 754-67.
5. Laine ML, Loos BG, Crielaard W. Gene polymorphisms in chronic periodontitis. Int J Dent. 2010; 324719.
6. Nicklin MJ, Barton JL, Nguyen M, FitzGerald MG, Duff GW, Kornman K. A sequence-based map of the nine genes of the human interleukin-1 cluster. Genomics 2002; 79: 718-25.
7. Graves DT, Cochran D. The contribution of interleukin-1 and tumor necrosis factor to periodontal tissue destruction. J Periodontol. 2003; 74: 391-401.
8. Kornman KS, Page RC, Tonetti MS. The host response to the microbial challenge in periodontitis: assembling the players. Periodontol 2000 1997; 14: 33-53.
9. Fiebig A, Jepsen S, Loos BG, Scholz C, Schafer C, Ruhling A, et al. Polymorphisms in the interleukin-1 (IL1) gene cluster are not associated
with aggressive periodontitis in a large Caucasian population. Genomics 2008; 92: 309-15.
10. Braosi AP, Souza CM, Luczyszyn SM, Dirschnabel AJ, Claudino M, Olandoski M, et al. Analysis of IL-1 gene polymorphisms and transcript levels in periodontal and chronic kidney disease. Cytokine 2012; 60: 76-82.
11. Moreira PR, Costa JE., Gomez RS, Gollob KJ, Dutra WO. The IL1A (-889) gene polymorphism is associated with chronic periodontal disease in a sample of Brazilian individuals. J Periodont Res. 2007; 42: 23–30.
12. Trevilatto PC, Souza Pardo AP, Scarel-Caminaga RM, de Brito RB, Jr., Alvim-Pereira F, Alvim-Pereira CC, et al. Association of IL1 gene polymorphisms with chronic periodontitis in Brazilians. Arch Oral Biol. 2011; 56: 54-62.
13. Gomes-Filho IS, Sarmento VA, Rosing CK, Viana MIP, Trindade SC, Freitas COT, et al. Critérios para o diagnóstico clínico da doença periodontal. JBC Odontol Integr. 2005; 9:88-89.
14. Stecca L, Souza AA, Khan S. Influência da seleção de sítios periodontais específicos e da utilização de diferentes níveis de perda de inserção clínica na determinação da prevalência e severidade da periodontite. Periodontia 2009; 19:94-103.
15. Saab YB, Kabbara W, Chbib C, Gard PR. Buccal cell DNA extraction: yield, purity, and cost: a comparison of two methods. Genet Test. 2007;
16. Brett PM, Zygogianni P, Griffiths GS, Tomaz M, Parkar M, D’Aiuto F, et al. Functional gene polymorphisms in aggressive and chronic periodontitis. J Dent Res. 2005; 84: 1149-53.
17. Yousef A. AlJehani. Risk factors of periodontal disease: review of the literature. Int J Dent. 2014; 2014.
18. Oppermann RV, Weidlich P, Musskopf ML. Periodontal disease and systemic complications. Braz Oral Res. 2012; 26, Suppl 1:39-47.
19. Haas AN, Wagner MC, Oppermann RV, Rosing CK, Albandar JM, Susin C. Risk factors for the progression of periodontal attachment loss: a 5-year population-based study in South Brazil. J Clin Periodontol. 2013; 41: 215-23.
20. Ragghianti MS, Greghi SL, Lauris JR, Sant’ana AC, Passanezi E. Influence of age, sex, plaque and smoking on periodontal conditions in a population from Bauru, Brazil. J Appl Oral Sci. 2004; 12: 273-79.
21. Thomson WM, Shearer DM, Broadbent JM, Foster Page LA, Poulton R. The natural history of periodontal attachment loss during the third and
fourth decades of life. J Clin Periodontol. 2013; 40: 672-80.
22. Buchwald S, Kocher T, Biffar R, Harb A, Holtfreter B, Meisel P. Tooth loss and periodontitis by socio-economic status and inflammation in a longitudinal population-based study. J Clin Periodontol. 2013; 40: 203-11.
23. Bergström J. Tobacco smoking and risk for periodontal disease. J Clin Periodontol. 2003; 30: 107-13.
24. Lopez R, Frydenberg M, Baelum V. Clinical features of early periodontitis. J Periodontol. 2009; 80: 749-58.
25. Newbrun E. Indices to measure gingival bleeding. J Periodontol 1996; 67: 555-61.
26. Liu H, Marcus M, Maida CA, Wang Y, Shen J, Spolsky VW. Predictive power of the severity measure of attachment loss for periodontal care need. J Periodontol. 2013; 84: 1409-15.
27. Oppermann RV, Haas AN, Rösing CK, Susin C. Epidemiology of periodontal diseases in adults from Latin America. Periodontol. 2000 2015; 67:13-33.
28. Susin C, Haas AN, Valle PM, Oppermann RV, Albandar JM. Prevalence and risk indicators for chronic periodontitis in adolescents and young adults in south Brazil. J Clin Periodontol 2005; 76: 262-67.
29. Silva-Boghossian CM, Luiz RR, ColomboAP. Periodontal status, sociodemographic and behavioral indicators in subjects attending a public dental school in Brazil: analysis of clinical attachment loss. J Periodontol 2009; 80: 1945-54.
30. Romanelli H, Gonzalez y Rivas M, Chiappe V, Gomez M, Macchi R. Periodontal treatment needs in Argentine adult subjects, Acta Odontol Latinoam 2007; 20: 39-47.
31. McDevitt MJ, Wang HY, Knobelman C, Newman MG, di Giovine FS, Timms J, et al. Interleukin-1 genetic association with periodontitis in clinical practice. J Periodontol. 2000; 71: 156-63.
32. Shapira L, Wilensky A, Kinane DF. Effect of genetic variability on the inflammatory response to periodontal infection. J Clin Periodontol. 2005;
32 Suppl 6: 72-86.
33. Wagner J, Kaminski WE, Aslanidis C, Moder D, Hiller KA, Christgau M, et al. Prevalence of OPG and IL-1 gene polymorphisms in chronic periodontitis. J Clin Periodontol. 2007; 34: 823-27.
34. Karimbux NY, Saraiya VM, Elangovan S, Allareddy V, Kinnunen T, Kornman KS, et al. Interleukin-1 gene polymorphisms and chronic periodontitis in adult whites: a systematic review and meta-analysis. J Periodontol. 2012; 83: 1407-19.
35. Mao M, Zeng XT, Ma T, He W, Zhang C, Zhou J. Interleukin-1alpha -899 (+4845) C-->T polymorphism increases the risk of chronic periodontitis: evidence from a meta-analysis of 23 case-control studies. Gene 2013; 532: 114-19.