Impact of different settings in periodontitis prevalence
Methods: The sample consisted of 200 pregnant women from a database. A Medline search was conducted to identify studies that evaluated the association between periodontitis and gestational diabetes. Periodontitis case definitions used in the retrieved studies were applied in the sample. The frequency of
periodontitis among the different diagnostic criteria was compared through the Chi-square test. Results: After conducting a search, analysis, and selection from the literature, nine studies were included in the present study. Three studies showed the same criteria. As a result, seven different periodontitis definitions were identified. The frequency of periodontitis in the sample ranged from 24.5% to 72.5%. Conclusion: The prevalence of periodontitis greatly varies when different diagnostic criteria are used. The standardization of periodontitis case
definitions in epidemiological studies is crucial for a better comparison among the studies and improvement of the results.
Uniterms: Gestational diabetes. Periodontitis. Epidemiology.
2. Page RC, Offenbacher S, Schroeder HE, Seymour GJ, Kornman KS. Advances in the pathogenesis of periodontitis: summary of developments, clinical implication and future directions. Periodontol 2000. 1997; 14:216-48.
3. Kinane DF. Causation and pathogenesis of periodontal disease. Periodontol 2000. 2001; 25:8-20.
4. Cota LOM, Guimarães AN, Costa JE, Lorentz TCM, Costa FO. Association between
maternal periodontitis and an increased risk of preeclampsia. J Periodontol. 2006; 77:2063-69.
5. Scannapieco FA. Pneumonia in nonambulatory patients. The role of oral bacteria and oral hygiene. J Am Dent Assoc. 2006; 137:21S-25S.
6. Tonetti MS. Periodontitis and risk for atherosclerosis: an update on intervention trials. J Clin Periodontol. 2009; 36:15-9.
7. Esteves Lima RP, Miranda Cota LO, Costa FO. Association between periodontitis and gestational diabetes mellitus: a case-control study. J Periodontol. 2013; 84:1257-65.
8. Sgolastra F, Severino M, Pietropaoli D, Gatto R, Monaco A. Effectiveness of periodontal treatment to improve metabolic control in patients with chronic periodontitis and type 2 diabetes: a meta-analysis of randomized clinical trials. J Periodontol. 2013; 84:958-73.
9. Govindaraju P, Venugopal S, Shivakumar MA, Sethuraman S, Ramaiah SK, Mukundan S. Maternal periodontal disease and preterm birth: a case-control study. J Indian Soc Periodontol. 2015; 19:512-15.
10. Costa FO, Guimarães AN, Cota LOM, Pataro AL, Segundo TK, Cortelli SC et al. Impact of different periodontitis case definitions on periodontal research. J Oral Sci. 2009; 51:199-206.
11. Novak KF, Taylor GW, Dawson DR, Ferguson JE, Novak J. Periodontitis and gestational diabetes mellitus: exploring the link in NHANES III. J Public Health Dent. 2006; 66:163-8.
12. Xiong X, Buekens P, Vastardis S, Pridjian G. Periodontal disease and gestational diabetes mellitus. Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2006; 195:1086- 9.
13. Dasanayake AP, Chhun N, Tanner ACR, Craig RG, Lee MJ, Moore AF et al. Periodontal pathogens and gestational diabetes mellitus. J Dent Res. 2008; 87:328-33.
14. Xiong X, Elkind-Hirsch KE, Vastardis S, Delarosa RL, Pridjian G, Buekens P. Periodontal disease is associated with gestational diabetes mellitus: a case-control study. J Periodontol. 2009; 80:1742- 9.
15. Chokwiriyachit A, Dasanayake AP, Suwannarong W, Hormdee D, Sumanonta G, Prasertchareonsuk W et al. Periodontitis and gestational diabetes mellitus in non-smoking females. J Periodontol. 2013; 84:857-62.
16. Xie Y, Xiong X, Elkind-Hirsch KE, Pridjian G, Maney P, Delarosa RL et al. Change of periodontal disease status during and after pregnancy. J Periodontol. 2013; 84:725-31.
17. Xiong X, Elkind-Hirsch KE, Xie Y, Delarosa R, Maney P, Pridjian G et al. Periodontal disease as a potential risk factor for the development of diabetes in women with a prior history of gestational diabetes mellitus. J Public Health Dent. 2013; 73:41-9.
18. Bullon P, Jaramillo R, Santos-Garcia R, Rios- Santos V, Ramirez M, Fernandez-Palacin A et al. Relation of periodontitis and metabolic syndrome with gestational glucose metabolism disorder. J Periodontol. 2014; 85:e1-e8.
19. Preshaw PM. Detection and diagnosis of periodontal conditions amenable to prevention. BMC Oral Health. 2015; 15:1-11.
20. Armitage GC. The complete periodontal examination. Periodontol 2000. 2004; 34:22-33.
21. Hefti AF. Periodontal probing. Crit Rev Oral Biol Med. 1997; 8:336-56.
22. Ainamo J, Barmes D, Beagrie G, Cutress T, Martin J, Sardo-Infirri J. Development of the World Health Organization (WHO) community periodontal index of treatment needs (CPITN). Int Dent J. 1982; 32:281-91.
23. Page RC, Morrison EC. Summary of outcomes and recommendations of the workshop on (CPITN). Int Dent J. 1994; 44:589-94.
24. Pradeep AR, Manjunath SG, Swati PP, Shilha C, Sujatha PB. Gingival crevicular fluid levels of leukotriene B4 in periodontal health and disease. J Periodontol. 2007; 78:2325-30.
25. Rai B, Kharb S, Jain R, Anand SC. Biomarkers of periodontitis in oral fluids. J Oral Sci. 2008; 50:53-6.